Estes Home Inspections, Home Inspection Service, Omaha, NE

Penicillium/Aspergillus

These are two of the most commonly found allergenic fungi in problem buildings.
Aspergillus comes in many varieties (species). Many of the varieties produce toxic
substances. It may be associated with symptoms such as sinusitis, allergic
bronchiopulmonary aspergillosis, and other allergic symptoms.
Penicillium is a variety of mold that is very common indoors and is found in increased
numbers in problem buildings. It also has many varieties, some of which produce toxic
substances. The symptoms are allergic reactions, mucous membrane irritation, headaches,
vomiting, and diarrhea.
Because the spores of Aspergillus and Penicillium are very similar, they are not
differentiated by microscopic analysis and are reported together.

Molds are everywhere in a home. Spores enter a home whenever a door or window opens.  We carry them inside with us on our clothing, in our hair or on a loved pet.

This mold in the owners basement proved to be Penicillium/Aspergillus  and numerous other species.

 Do you need a mold inspection? 

Do you need a mold inspection? You don’t NEED a mold inspection, but a client benefits from getting one. The most important thing that I offer is an evaluation of your indoor air quality. When indoor growth problems exist, they release thousands of spores into the air that have the potential to cause health problems. Some people are more sensitive to molds and other allergens often found in the home, other people are not as susceptible. Without taking air samples, there is no way to determine how far this problem has spread. You should also understand that the visible growth that you see is often just the tip of an iceberg.

Estes Home Inspections offers unbiased mold assessments without a conflict of interest. I started performing mold inspections when a problem in the mold remediation industry was observed. Restoration companies that offer mold remediation services were offering indoor air quality testing to see just how bad the problem is. As you can imagine, this can create a problem. A professional mold removal job can cost home owners thousands of dollars.

This is why Estes Home Inspections only performs sample collections backed up with scientific testing results from a third party laboratory for analysis and take no part in the mold removal process. This ensures that the assessment you receive is honest and the testing results that come in are facts.

If you suspect that your home or business may have this type of problem, it is important to act quickly to determine a course of action to resolve the problem. This recommendation is not because there is imminent danger but, because the sooner you find the source of the problem, the easier it is to get rid of it.  Give me a call at 402-690-0484 to talk about a plan to help you.


Contact Me:
Phone at 402-690-0484 or Email, estestim1@yahoo.com

What is Mold

Molds are part of the natural environment.  Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter, such as fallen leaves and dead trees.  But indoors, mold growth should be avoided.  Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.  Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.  There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Stachybotrys

​Aw - 0.94 , optimum Aw ->0.98. Several strains of this fungus (S. atra, S. chartarum and
S. alternans are synonymous) may produce a trichothecene mycotoxin- Satratoxin H -
which is poisonous by inhalation. The toxins are present on the fungal spores. This is a
slow growing fungus on media. It does not compete well with other rapidly growing
fungi. The dark colored fungus grows on building material with high cellulose content
and low nitrogen content. Areas with a relative humidity above 55%, and are subject to
temperature fluctuations, are ideal for toxin production.
Individuals with chronic exposure to the toxin produced by this fungus reported cold and
flu symptoms, sore throats, diarrhea, headaches, fatigue, dermatitis, intermittent local hair
loss and generalized malaise. Other symptoms include coughs, rhinitis, nosebleed, a
burning sensation in the nasal passages, throat, and lungs, and fever. The toxins produced
by this fungus will suppress the immune system affecting the lymphoid tissue and the
bone marrow. Animals injected with the toxin from this fungus exhibited the following
symptoms: necrosis and hemorrhage within the brain, thymus, spleen, intestine, lung,
heart, lymph node, liver, and kidney. Affects by absorption of the toxin in the human
lung are known as pneumomycosis.
This organism is rarely found in outdoor samples. It is usually difficult to find in indoor
air samples unless it is physically disturbed (or possibly -this is speculation- a drop in the
relative humidity). The spores are in a gelatinous mass. Appropriate media for the growth
of this organism will have high cellulose content and low nitrogen content. The spores
will die readily after release. The dead spores are still allergenic and toxigenic.
Percutaneous absorption has caused mild symptoms.

Molds in this home proved to be Penicillium/Aspergillus And Stachybotrys. 

Water intrusion into your home can create problems from material damage and human health.

Molds are everywhere. When they find their way into our homes, they can cause both physical damage to the home but more importantly are harmful to human health.  The above photos show the species called Penicillium/Aspergillus and Stachybotrys among several other species too. These can cause very harmful reactions to the health of humans, especially young children, aged persons and anyone with allergies.  If you see anything like what is shown in the above pictures of homes I have inspected, be wary and call an unbiased inspector to offer information to assist you in correcting such a condition in your home.


Estes Home Inspections